Friday, August 16, 2024

Jacobsburg State Park, Hollo Road and the Northwood Avenue Ponds ~ August 16, 2024

I took my long loop walk around Jacobsburg State Park to look for signs of early migration and was happy to find some. The first part of the walk produced Eastern Wood-Pewee, Eastern Kingbird, Red-eyed Vireo, Veery, Wood Thrush, and Baltimore Oriole.


Along the loop, I came across eight species of warblers that included a surprising Worm-eating, a Magnolia, a Blackburnian, 3 Black-and-whites, 4 Chestnut-sideds, 2 American Redstarts, an Ovenbird, and 3 Common Yellowthroats.

At the field area atop the hill, I saw a weird-looking dark bird flying towards me. When it finally got closer, I realized it was just a crow that was missing a lot of its flight feathers, apparently in the process of molting.
I also saw a Scarlet Tanager and a Least Flycatcher along the trail on the hill behind the visitor center.

An adult male and two young Eastern Bluebirds were present across the road from the visitor center. I ended up with 41 species for the morning.
On the way back, I stopped at the Hollo Road retention pond. The water level had dropped enough to provide an edge for shorebirds. I saw 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, 7 Least Sandpipers, and a solitary Solitary Sandpiper, plus a Green Heron.
My last stop was the Northwood Avenue 'east' retention pond. I parked near the development's mailbox stand along Ridge Road. From there, I saw the continuing Great Egret, a Wood Duck, and a Great Blue Heron.

No comments:

Post a Comment