Monday, May 3, 2021

Common Gallinule (again) and a very productive day in Northampton County ~ May 3, 2021

On Monday morning, I did a loop through Upper Mount Bethel Township. I scanned the northwest corner of Lake Minsi and found (or refound) a Common Gallinule! The bird was playing hide-and-seek in the vegetation around where the tallest and leftmost strip of cattails are in the northwest corner of the lake when viewing from the end of the small jetty that’s at the western parking lot. I say “refound” because I’m not sure if this is the same one I saw back on 4/18 or if it’s a new arrival. I took some long-distance documentation photos of it.

As I was getting ready to leave, an adult Bald Eagle flew in and landed in the trees right next to the parking lot.

It was a good part of what turned out to be a fine birding day. I found 79 species from roughly 6 AM to 4 PM. A late Merlin first thing in the morning before I left my house and a Common Gallinule at Lake Minsi were the most unexpected birds.
I birded the National Park Drive section of the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area and spotted Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Blue-headed, Yellow-throated, and Red-eyed Vireo, Common Raven, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Scarlet Tanager, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and twelve warbler species that included a Hooded Warbler. I spent almost an hour there at one spot as a wave of warblers, vireos, and others worked their way through. It was one of the best patches of migrants I’d seen in several years. I didn’t know which of the several trees to look through and wished that I had more pairs of eyes looking. I wonder how much I missed in the process.



Additional stops were made at:
Bear Swamp Park
Bangor Vein Road, the
Hollo Road retention pond, and
Green Pond.

I had 6 shorebird species, 5 woodpecker species, 4 species of vireos, and 13 warbler species.

Here’s the list.

1 Snow Goose
X Canada Geese
1 Mute Swan
6 Wood Ducks
16 Mallards
4 Pied-billed Grebes
3 Mourning Doves
1 Ruby-throated Hummingbird
1 Common Gallinule
1 American Coot
5 Killdeer
1 Least Sandpiper
8 Spotted Sandpipers
10 Solitary Sandpipers
1 Greater Yellowlegs
5 Lesser Yellowlegs
4 Great Blue Herons
6 Green Herons
1 Turkey Vulture
1 Osprey
1 Bald Eagle
1 Belted Kingfisher
8 Red-bellied Woodpeckers
4 Downy Woodpeckers
1 Hairy Woodpecker
2 Pileated Woodpeckers
1 Northern Flicker
1 Merlin
1 Eastern Phoebe
1 Eastern Kingbird
1 Yellow-throated Vireo
2 Blue-headed Vireos
1 Warbling Vireo
2 Red-eyed Vireos
16 Blue Jays
1 American Crow
1 Fish Crow
1 Common Raven
2 Carolina/Black-capped Chickadees
4 Tufted Titmice
14 Northern Rough-winged Swallows
3 Purple Martins
12 Tree Swallows
2 Barn Swallows
2 Ruby-crowned Kinglets
1 White-breasted Nuthatch
5 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers
X European Starlings
4 Gray Catbirds
2 Eastern Bluebirds
1 Wood Thrush
X American Robins
X House Sparrows
X House Finches
5 Purple Finches
12 American Goldfinches
5 Chipping Sparrows
66 White-throated Sparrows
4 Song Sparrows
28 Red-winged Blackbirds
4 Brown-headed Cowbirds
2 Rusty Blackbirds
X Common Grackles
12 Ovenbirds
2 Louisiana Waterthrushes
6 Black-and-white Warblers
5 Common Yellowthroats
1 Hooded Warbler
2 American Redstarts
2 Northern Parulas
2 Blackburnian Warblers
1 Yellow Warbler
2 Chestnut-sided Warblers
1 Black-throated Blue Warbler
8 Yellow-rumped Warblers
6 Black-throated Green Warblers
1 Scarlet Tanager
4 Northern Cardinals
4 Rose-breasted Grosbeaks

No comments:

Post a Comment