Saturday, May 15, 2021

A Bay-breasted Warbler kind of day ~ May 15, 2021

My plan was to bird Upper Mount Bethel Township today, but as I opened the garage door, I heard what I was sure was a Bay-breasted Warbler singing away. Since I had never been fortunate enough to get a photo of one before, I grabbed my camera and binoculars and followed the song to the neighbor's spruces. Eventually, I found it among several Yellow-rumped Warblers and was able to get some decent photos of it.


Very happy with the start of the day, I headed for Bear Swamp and found 37 species that included Swainson's Thrush, Scarlet Tanager, and 13 warbler species. In addition to Magnolia, Blackburnian, Black-throated Blue, Black-throated Green, and both waterthrushes were----wouldn't you know it----two Bay-breasted Warblers!



I took the short drive over to Lake Minsi where notables included an American Coot, a Common Loon, and several Purple Martins.


A Great Blue Heron flew close overhead allowing for some nice flight shots.
Great Blue Heron

No comments:

Post a Comment