Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Martins Creek Nature Trail and Preserve ~ February 7, 2024

I walked the Martins Creek Nature Trail this morning. At around 11:00 AM, I heard some gulls calling overhead. When I looked up, I saw about 15 Ring-billed Gulls circling, but one of the birds looked obviously different. There were large white markings in the primaries. I took as many photos as I could of it as it got higher and eventually headed west with the group in the direction of the Grand Central landfill. After going through my gull books and doing a lot of research online, there's a possibility that it might have been a Common Gull, a Eurasian bird that occasionally shows up in the Northeast. It's also probable that it might have been an aberrantly-marked Ring-billed Gull. I am adding all of the photos here with notations.

Here are three photos showing the bird next to a young Ring-billed Gull for comparison.

Here are another three photos showing the bird leading the same young Ring-billed Gull and an adult Ring-billed Gull behind it, again for comparison.

Along the trail, I found an Eastern Towhee, a Hermit Thrush, 3 Ruby-crowned Kinglets, and a Fox Sparrow that dropped out of sight before I could get a photo.

Along the river, I spotted 13 Common Goldeneye, 11 Buffleheads, 4 Common Mergansers, 2 Golden-crowned Kinglets, a Hairy Woodpecker, and a Yellow-rumped Warbler.

Back near the parking lot, there were 3 Field Sparrows.

At the nearby Martins Creek Environmental Preserve, I saw 22 Buffleheads, 14 Ring-necked Ducks, 9 Common Mergansers, 3 Redheads, 2 Ruddy Ducks, 2 Gadwall, 2 American Coots, 2 Northern Harriers, a Belted Kingfisher, 2 American Tree Sparrows, and an American Kestrel.

No comments:

Post a Comment