Monday, February 19, 2024

Killdeer, American Pipits, a Canvasback, and more on President's Day ~ February 19, 2024

I drove by Green Pond and found two Killdeer in the flooded field on the north side of Green Pond Road.

Eleven American Black Ducks and a Common Merganser were on Green Pond along with 26 Mallards.

As I headed west, a Peregrine Falcon was perched atop one of the smokestacks at the old cement mill by the Dutch Springs Quarry. I got one very distant photo of it.
I stopped at the intersection of Steuben Road and Little Creek Drive to check the flooded, corn-stubble field there for more Killdeer and was surprised to find 4 American Pipits instead.

I caught one of the pipits doing a wing and tail stretch, which revealed the white in the outer tail feathers.
Over at the Regency Boulevard retention ponds, I saw the male Canvasback, although it was in the north pond today with 3 Buffleheads because there is construction going on at the "cove area" by the south pond. A resident there told me that they are repairing a sinkhole that was partly draining the ponds.
The nearby Silver Crest Road pond held 2 Ruddy Ducks, a Great Blue Heron, and 3 Snow Geese among around 800 Canada Geese.

At the Trio Farms Boulevard retention ponds, I counted 19 Red-winged Blackbirds that included some singing birds. There were likely more than that there.

No comments:

Post a Comment