Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Arrowhead Road and the Regency Ponds ~ February 14, 2024

In the morning, a Cooper's Hawk paid a visit to my tiny pond at home. He tried to nab some of the birds but was unsuccessful.

Two Lapland Longspurs had been reported at Arrowhead Road, so I made a stop there. There were about 200 Horned Larks present, but they were constantly being chased by the passing cars. Five Savannah Sparrows were feeding at the edge of the fencerow. A total of 14 Turkey Vultures were taking turns feeding on a very smelly skunk carcass. I spent about an hour-and-a-half there but never saw any longspurs.

I left there and decided to check the nearby Regency Boulevard ponds. The north pond held 11 Buffleheads while the south pond held the male Canvasback, which wasn't there the last time I stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment