Saturday, September 20, 1986

Washington and British Columbia Trip ~ September 8, 1986

I headed into Oak Creek Canyon looking for some 'lifers' but came out with a nice look at a soaring immature Golden Eagle. Along Wenas Road, north of Naches, I sighted Brewer's Sparrow and my first views of Black-billed Magpie. Wenas Road turned into Umtanum Road, which had Western Bluebirds along it. I followed Umtanum Road into Ellensburg, went north on Route 97, and picked up Route 2, heading for Lake Wenatchee State Park. Route 2 follows the Wenatchee River through a huge gorge between Leavenworth and Coles Corner.

At Lake Wenatchee, I looked for Red-naped Sapsucker but only found more Gray Jays. I took Route 2 down to Sunnyslope and followed Route 97 up the Columbia River to the Brewster area.
The Columbia River near Chelan Falls, Washington.


In the sagebrush, I found Western Meadowlarks and Brewer's Blackbirds, but the timing of my trip was apparently too late in the season for Sage Thrasher. I spent the night in the only motel in Brewster.

No comments:

Post a Comment