Saturday, September 20, 1986

Washington and British Columbia Trip ~ September 10, 1986

The morning was spent in Washington Park near Anacortes. Along with Glaucous-winged and Bonaparte's Gulls, I spotted my first Chestnut-backed Chickadees, Mew Gull, and Pigeon Guillemots.
Pigeon Guillemot off Washington Park near Anacortes, Washington.


Following the Loop Road to nearby Green Point produced breeding-plumaged Red-necked Grebes and two more 'lifers'---Marbled Murrelets and American Black Oystercatchers. On Rosario Head at Deception Pass State Park, I found my first Rhinoceros Auklet and Pelagic Cormorants. Also in the area were Red-breasted Merganser, Surf Scoter, and Common Loon. At Larabee State Park, near Chuckanut, were Winter Wren, Hermit Thrush, and more Chestnut-backed Chickadees.
Deception Pass Bridge crossing into Deception Pass State Park, Washington.


I went up I-5, crossed the Canadian border and, then, the Fraser River into Vancouver, British Columbia. After some searching, I finally found five Crested Mynas at the corner of Southeast Marine Drive and Ontario Street in South Vancouver.
Crested Mynas in South Vancouver, British Columbia.


Next, I took the Vancouver-Victoria Ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay. At the Tsawwassen terminal were Common Tern and Mew Gull. In Swartz Bay, I saw Red-throated Loon and my first Common Murre. I spent the night on Victoria Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment