Saturday, September 20, 1986

Washington and British Columbia Trip ~ September 6, 1986

On Saturday morning, I boarded a plane in Newark for Seattle by way of Denver. I got my rental car and headed for Discovery Park near Seattle. On my way there, I stopped at the Ship Canal Marina and saw three Glaucous-winged Gulls on some pilings.
Glaucous-winged Gull at the Ship Canal Marina near Seattle, Washington.


The smell of evergreens filled the air at Discovery Park. At the North Parking Lot, the smaller and more nasal-sounding Northwestern Crows were present. They seemed very similar to our Fish Crows in size and call. From the lot, I hiked the Wolf Tree Nature Trail. There, I saw my first Black-throated Gray Warbler. Also there were Hutton's Vireo, Wilson's and Orange-crowned Warbler, Western Tanager, and the "Audubon's" form of Yellow-rumped Warbler. I left the park and headed south past the Space Needle for Mount Rainier. By now, the setting sun produced an orange glow on Rainier's snow-capped peak.

I stayed at a motel in Enumclaw, located near the base of the mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment