Saturday, September 20, 1986

Washington and British Columbia Trip ~ September 7, 1986

On Sunday, I headed for the Sunrise Visitor Center in Mount Rainier National Park. On the way up, frequent stops revealed Steller's Jay, "Oregon" Junco, Red-breasted Nuthatch, and Clark's Nutcracker.

Mount Rainier from Sunrise Park Road in Mount Rainier National Park, Washington.


The Sunrise Visitor Center is located at the timberline, about 6400 feet in elevation. Along the treeline were Golden-crowned Kinglets. I hiked up from there into the alpine tundra. Hoary Marmots moved among the rocks.
A Hoary Marmot along the Burroughs Mountain Trail in Mount Rainier National Park, Washington.


About a mile up the trail, on First Burroughs Mountain, I found Horned Lark, Water Pipit, Common Raven, and a small flock of Gray-crowned Rosy-Finches.
A Water Pipit along the Burroughs Mountain Trail in Mount Rainier National Park, Washington.


There were amazing views in all directions as I headed for Second Burroughs Mountain and up to the snowline below Mount Rainier.
The White River from along the Burroughs Mountain Trail in Mount Rainier National Park, Washington.


The Burroughs Mountain area, dwarfed by Mount Rainier, from along the Burroughs Mountain Trail in Mount Rainier National Park, Washington.


Mount Rainier from the Burroughs Mountain Trail in Mount Rainier National Park, Washington. Note the trail just below center right that I took up to where the Ptarmigans were found.


Farther up, on Second Buroughs Mountain, I sat on a rock to take a break from the high-elevation hiking and take in the scenery. I was now just below the snowline and still hadn't seen my 'target bird'. After hearing something behind a rock about twenty feet from where I was sitting, I noticed a head pop out on one side of it. It was my 'life' White-tailed Ptarmigan!
A White-tailed Ptarmigan checking me out on Second Burroughs Mountain in Mount Rainier National Park, Washington.


Eventually, I found three of them as they allowed me to get some nice photos. Their plumage perfectly camouflaged them against the rocky background. Who knows how many more I didn't notice there?


White-tailed Ptarmigans blending in with their surroundings on Second Burroughs Mountain in Mount Rainier National Park, Washington.


It was tough to leave the Ptarmigans and the superb views. It was a long, but enjoyable, walk back to the car.
The view from 'the Ptarmigan spot' looking back towards the Sunrise Visitor Center in Mount Rainier National Park, Washington. The visitor center is behind the flat-topped peak. The cut for Sunrise Park Road is visible near center right.


On the way back down, I stopped at Shadow Lake, a tiny lake located just below the treeline, that produced Mountain Chickadee, Violet-green Swallow, and my first Gray Jays. Driving down from the visitor center, I stopped at Fryingpan Creek and found Vaux's Swifts overhead. I searched in vain for Three-toed Woodpecker at the Chinook Pass Summit and then turned off Route 410 onto Route 123. I spotted a single American Dipper diving into the water at the base of Silver Falls, located just above Ohanepecosh Campground. I headed east on Route 12 to the entrance to Oak Creek Canyon, just west of Naches, where I spent a restless night sleeping in the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment