Saturday, September 20, 1986

Washington and British Columbia Trip ~ September 11, 1986

Thursday morning, I watched the U.S.S. Constellation, one of our huge aircraft carriers navigate through the islands on its way to "The Expo" in Vancouver. I spent the next 6-1/2 hours exploring cabbage fields near Island View Beach Road until I finally got good looks at three Eurasian Skylarks. Harlequin Ducks were offshore at the end of the road.

I was planning on taking the 2-hour ferry crossing from Victoria to Port Angeles, Washington, but it was already filled for the next several crossings, which wouldn't get me across until the next day. Unable to wait that long, I took the Victoria-Vancouver ferry back to Tsawwassen, crossed the border back into the U.S., took I-5 south to Whidbey Island, took the Keystone-Port Townsend ferry under the moonlight, and then drove over to the town of Sequim. It was a detour of almost 7 hours! Finally on the Olympic Peninsula, I spent most of the night in the bathroom of my Sequim-based motel after doing a stupid move of all-too-quickly downing a quart of ice cream. It was a long, long day and a long night.

No comments:

Post a Comment