I took another shot at trying to find some wanted birds at Little Gap. Adam Miller, and Mike & Corinne Schall joined me as we walked up the mountain. Found along the way up to and beyond the hawkwatch was another great count of 6 Philadelphia Vireos among at least 18 Red-eyed Vireos.
Other birds seen included 4 Northern Flickers, an Eastern Wood-Pewee, 6 Blue Jays, a Common Raven, 2 chickadees, 2 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, a Northern House Wren, an American Robin, around 40 Cedar Waxwings, and warblers that included 5 Black-and-whites, a Cape May, 3 Magnolias, a Blackburnian, 2 Chestnut-sideds, a Blackpoll, 3 Black-throated Greens, 2 Ovenbirds, 2 American Redstarts, and 5 Northern Parulas.
With showers moving into the area, it wasn't a good raptor day. In the hour or so I was there, I saw a Ruby-throated Hummingbird, 13 Turkey Vultures, 2 Sharp-shinned Hawks, a Bald Eagle, and 2 Broad-winged Hawks.
I hit a few ponds on the way back home. The Regency Boulevard retention ponds produced a Wood Duck, a Green Heron, a Cooper's Hawk, 3 American Goldfinches, and a flock of around 50 Red-winged Blackbirds.
The Trio Farms Boulevard retention ponds held 4 Double-crested Cormorants among around 150 Canad Geese.
The Hollo Road retention pond 2 Wood Ducks, 7 Green-winged Teal, 3 Killdeer, one Solitary and one Pectoral Sandpiper, a Lesser Yellowlegs, one Green and one Great Blue Heron, and an Osprey that was "kiting" over the pond.
My last stop was at the Newburg Road retention pond. There was a fairly good selection of birds there that included 22 Killdeer, 4 Lesser Yellowlegs, 2 Greater Yellowlegs, one Least Sandpiper, 2 Pectoral Sandpipers, 2 Green Herons, a 'fly-by' Bald Eagle, and a Savannah Sparrow.
I got some nice comparison photos of a Lesser and a Greater Yellowlegs showing the difference in overall size and bill size.
The two Pectoral Sandpipers and the Green Herons got a little nervous when a Bald Eagle flew by.
No comments:
Post a Comment