Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Little Gap and the Newburg Road Pond ~ September 8, 2026

I soent another morning birding Little Gap, hoping to find a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher or an early Connecticut Warbler. I stopped at several spots on the way up to the top of the mountain. The first stop produced a male Blackburnian Warbler.

At the second stop, I got photos of one of several Black-and-white Warblers and an Ovenbird.

Atop the mountain, I came across a nice count of 4 Philadelphia Vireos. I was fortunate to get photos of two of them.


Also there was a female Black-throated Blue Warbler.
At another spot behind the hawkwatch, I found a Ruby-throated Hummingbird and several Black-throated Green Warblers.


Other birds seen during the morning included a Broad-winged Hawk, a Pileated Woodpecker, at least 19 Red-eyed Vireos, 3 Blue Jays, a Common Raven, 2 chickadees, a Tufted Titmouse, 5 American Redstarts, 4 Northern Parulas, and 9 Magnolia Warblers. Two Wild Turkeys and a Scarlet Tanager were seen on the way back down to the car.

The lack of rainfall has caused all of the area's shorebird habitat to dry up, so shorebirds have been nonexistent in the county this Fall. Yesterday, I stopped at the Newburg Road retention pond and found that the pond's level had dropped low enough to expose some shorebird habitat along its edge. There were 2 Solitary Sandpipers and many Killdeer present along with a couple Green Herons. So, today I stopped again and found a Lesser Yellowlegs had joined the others.


Hopefully, some other shorebirds will drop in during the coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment