Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Connecticut Warbler at the Koch Property ~ September 30, 2026

I got a voicemail in the morning from Arlene Koch stating that she had a Connecticut Warbler in her front yard. I had struck out several times trying to find one this season. I wasn't able to get over there until the afternoon, so there was a chance of seeing it, but not a very good one. The feeders in her front yard were full of House Finches and some House Sparrows with an occasional visit from White-breasted Nuthatches. I spotted a warbler in the brush behind the feeders, but it turned out to be a Tennessee, which allowed me to get some nice photos of it.

I was checking all of the birds hopping around in the brushy areas surrounding the feeders when, there it was! The Connecticut Warbler had popped up, giving a nice look! Unfortunately, by the time I looked it over and raised my camera, it dropped back down into the brush. I stuck around for another half-hour, hoping that it might show again, but all bird activity shut down when a Sharp-shinned Hawk flew in and perched in one of the nearby trees.

Other birds noted while there included Red-tailed Hawk, Red-bellied and Downy Woodpecker, Blue Jay, Gray Catbird, and American Goldfinch. I thanked Arlene for letting me know and letting me come over to her home-made sanctuary.

No comments:

Post a Comment