I went to Bicentennial Park in East Allen Township to check for young birds since I have that Breeding Bird Atlas block. On the way there, I saw an American Kestrel on a wire by Arrowhead Road. I first birded the wetlands area of the park, which was dried up, and then walked the adjacent section of the Nor-Bath Trail. That's where I was surprised to see a Merlin chasing down another bird over the field to the north! Unfortunately, both birds dropped behind the treeline before I could even try for a photo. Among the other 22 species seen at the park were Northern Flicker, Eastern Wood-Pewee, Great Crested and Willow Flycatcher, Eastern Kingbird, Barn Swallow, Gray Catbird, American Goldfinch, and Chipping Sparrow.
I stopped at Green Pond on the way back and found 11 continuing Snow Geese, a Killdeer, 2 Spotted Sandpipers, 4 Green Herons, a Great Blue Heron, an Eastern Kingbird, 2 Eastern Warbling Vireos, 3 Tree Swallows, 2 Northern Rough-winged Swallows, a Baltimore Oriole, and around 30 Red-winged Blackbirds.
No comments:
Post a Comment