Thursday, June 6, 2024

Pribilof Islands, Alaska Trip ~ June 3, 2024

The four of us spent today with Luis. We had just started the day when a call from David came through that they had found a Slaty-backed Gull at Zapadni Point. We drove right over and found the gull standing all alone of the beach.

Soon after, it took off and headed east towards town. I got a group of shots showing the diagnostic white subterminal spots on the primaries, also known as the "string of pearls".

We continued down Southwest Point Road to Southwest Point. Because the temperatures were in the low 30's and winds were gusting to 40 miles per hour, Luis parked the van at an angle and we used it as a shield to help block the wind. Northern Fulmars were veering around above the huge swells. Most of them were light birds, but there were a few dark birds among them.
A distant Pigeon Guillemot was also present, one of a few seen during my stay.
While seawatching, I noticed two all-dark shearwaters soaring just above the waves from left to right. Luckily, I was able to get Luis on them, who confirmed that they were indeed my life Short-tailed Shearwaters! Unfortunately by then, they were too far gone for photos, but it was my eighth life bird of the trip, which I wouldn't have seen had my Sunday flight not been cancelled.

Another check of the harbor was uneventful with the exception of a much closer male King Eider.

Our next stop was Tonki Point. Tom and I saw 4 Red Phalaropes feeding in the surf and walked down the beach in order to try and get to a better position for photos. Right before that happened, we heard Luis waving and hollering, "Siberian Sand-Plover!" So, Tom and I did our best attempt at a 100-yard dash in sand. We hopped in the van and Luis drove us to the Salt Lagoon where a Siberian Sand-Plover had been found by the other group. It wasn't a lifer for me, but I did get a few mediocre photos of it.

We returned to Tonki Point and found a "Siberian" Whimbrel along the way back there.

Three Tundra Swans were in the marsh near the point. The Red Phalaropes were still actively feeding along the beach, so Tom and I worked our way into position once again for photos. I ended up with the best photos I had ever taken of this species.

Four Sabine's Gulls also flew around just offshore.

Two Harbor Seals also popped up offshore just long enough for me to get this photo.
A Parasitic Jaeger zipped by before I had the chance to acquire the proper exposure, hence the dark images.

After dinner, I got this photo of the Salt Lagoon from atop Black Diamond Hill.
At the Salt Lagoon, another Gray-tailed Tattler was seen behind the N.O.A.A. staff quarters building. We checked the harbor and found a distant White-winged Scoter among the Harlequin Ducks.
Our last stop was at the Town Marsh where a Red-throated Pipit was found along the grassy edge.

An Eastern Yellow Wagtail was also found there, but it was on the far side of the marsh. Back at the hotel, I once again worked on some of my packing for tomorrow's flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment