Friday, January 12, 2024

Moore Township Birding ~ January 12, 2024

I made a run around Moore Township today. I started at Rabbit Road near Emmanuelsville where a Ruby-crowned Kinglet flitted along the side of the road, only allowing me to get a quick, crappy photo.
Along East Walker Road, I came across a nice group of birds that included an American Kestrel, 7 Eastern Bluebirds, a White-crowned Sparrow, 8 Red-winged Blackbirds, and a cooperative young Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.
At Graver's Hill, I was hoping to find a Lapland Longspur or a Snow Bunting, but with the snow all melted, it would be a tough task to find them. Instead of finding a Snow Bunting, I found a single Snow Goose in one of the fields. At first I thought it might be injured but, after a while, it took off and seemed perfectly fine as it flew away. I found the flock of around 75 Horned Larks but nothing else with them.

My next stop was a wet area along South Summit Road. There, I saw 5 Black Vultures, another Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, a Golden-crowned Kinglet, a Winter Wren, a Carolina Wren, and a Swamp Sparrow.

Along East Best Road, I got to photograph one of the Red-headed Woodpeckers that is wintering over.
My last stop was the Graver Arboretum. I walked all the way back to the conifer section to see what might be there. I thought I heard a Red-breasted Nuthatch, but I only heard it once and never could confirm it. However, I did find a Pileated Woodpecker, a Golden-crowned Kinglet, an Eastern Bluebird, and 2 American Robins, plus around 800 Snow Geese that flew overhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment