Sunday, January 7, 2024

Graver's Hill, Schlegel Road, and E. Best Road ~ January 7, 2024

I wanted to get up to Graver's Hill because the snow on the ground makes the Horned Larks and other field birds much easier to find, plus it often brings them to the edges of the road. I got there in the mid-afternoon and saw Bill Etter and Billy Weber already checking out the fields. A few groups of Horned Larks were scurrying around over the snow looking for food. I estimated around 80 birds were there, but there were probably more. Along S. Oaks Road, I spotted one of the 3 Snow Buntings that they had found, but was unable to get any photos before it flew. Soon after, an American Pipit was hopping down the middle of the road, feeding as it went. I got some pretty good photos of it using the car as a blind. I did not see the Lapland Longspur that was found on our Christmas Count a couple weeks ago.

Nearby Schlegel Road held another 30 Horned Larks. Later, near Copella Road and E. Best Road, I saw a group of 49 Wild Turkeys with some of the males displaying.
Wild Turkeys

No comments:

Post a Comment