Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Richmond Road and Hollo Road ~ August 22, 2023

Kathy Sieminski had posted on PABIRDS that she saw a Great Egret and some Yellowlegs at a flooded field along Richmond Road. Adam Miller checked out the spot and one other nearby and found a good number of shorebirds there. I was finally able to get over there on Tuesday. I stopped at the flooded field at the intersection of Richmond Road and Frutchey Hill Road. There, I found the Great Egret, 2 Semipalmated Sandpipers, 3 Least and 2 Spotted Sandpipers, a Solitary Sandpiper, 3 Lesser Yellowlegs, and 4 Killdeer.

I got a photo showing the camparison between a Least Sandpiper and one of the Semipalmated Sandpipers.
I drove a short distance south, parked at Glover Road, and walked up to the other flooded field area. This one had more birds and the lighting was much better for photos. I counted 4 Semipalmated Sandpipers, 44 Least Sandpipers, 5 Solitary Sandpipers, and 4 Lesser Yellowlegs.
Here's another comparison photo between a Semipalmated Sandpiper (left) and a Least Sandpiper (right).
From there, I drove over to the Hollo Road pond and spotted a Wilson's Snipe and another Semipalmated Sandpiper.

No comments:

Post a Comment