Thursday, August 17, 2023

Hollo Road and Newburg Road Ponds Again ~ August 17, 2023

I stopped at the Hollo Road pond. The number of Wood Ducks had increased to eleven. The only shorebird there was a Solitary Sandpiper.

Over at the Newburg Road retention ponds, I saw that the normally dry and grassy west pond by Koch Toyota had water in it. While slowly scanning through the grass, I counted 14 Lesser Yellowlegs with one Greater Yellowlegs in among them. The numbers of Canada Geese walking around would occasionally flush them from one area to another. This flight photo shows the Greater Yellowlegs (at center with the wings extended downward) flying with them.
I took this photo of the Greater when it landed.
I also took photos of some of the Lessers.

There was nothing notable at the east pond behind the hospital, but a Snow Goose flew by while I was there.
The grass field by the hospital held 4 Horned Larks.

A sweep of the field also produced a nice total of 32 Killdeer. I took a photo of a small portion of the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment