Thursday, August 10, 2023

Hollo Road Pond, Green Pond, and Home ~ August 10, 2023

It was supposed to start raining by late morning, so I got to the Hollo Road retention pond in the early morning. There were 4 Least Sandpipers, 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, a Solitary Sandpiper, and a Wood Duck at the pond.
A Great Egret just happened to fly by while I was there and, soon after, a Great Blue Heron came in for a landing.

The brush and trees by the pond held Cedar Waxwing, Yellow Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Gray Catbird, and Carolina Wren.
At Green Pond, Great Blue and Green Heron were present along with the continuing Snow Goose. I noticed a hawk fly up from the ground near the treeline along the golf course. Luckily, it perched at a spot where I was able to see it and get a photo. I was really surprised when I realized it was an adult Red-shouldered Hawk.
A Warbling Vireo was near the intersection by Green Pond itself.
By now, the rain was beginning to fall, so I headed home. There, I noticed at least three Ruby-throated Hummingbirds coming to the feeder. I decided to sit on the back porch and see if I could get some photos of one of the two males that were visiting. I ended up getting some of my best Ruby-throated photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment