Friday, September 2, 2022

Woodland Hills, Hollo Road, and Newburg Road ~ September 2, 2022

I got a late start to my walk at Woodland Hills Preserve, so I probably didn't see as much as I would have had I gotten there earlier. One of the first birds I saw was an adult Broad-winged Hawk perched on a snag.
Farther along, a Rose-breasted Grosbeak was briefly seen and an immature Red-shoulderd Hawk flew by showing off its pale 'windows' near the wingtips.

I heard and then saw two Red-breasted Nuthatches along the Blue Trail. There were at least two more seen later. I officially counted four, but there may have been as many as six.

Back at the parking lot, an Indigo Bunting perched in the brush.
Other notables included Eastern Wood-Pewee, Brown Thrasher, Cedar Waxwing, and Black-throated Green Warbler.

In the early evening, I stopped at the Hollo Road retention pond, which held a Semipalmated Plover in addition to a Greater Yellowlegs, 3 Lesser Yellowlegs, and a Least Sandpiper. I got a long-distance, documentation photo of the plover.
The last stop was at the Newburg Road retention pond where 52 Horned Larks were among 23 Killdeer. This is a surprisingly high number of Horned Larks for this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment