Sunday, September 25, 2022

The Local Ponds Route Again ~ September 25, 2022

My first stop was at the Regency Boulevard retention ponds. The woods edge was really quiet, but I saw an American Redstart and got a distant look and some hide-and-seek photos of this Wilson's Warbler.

The field edge at the unfinished end of Steuben Road held a good number of sparrows that included a few Lincoln's Sparrows and a Savannah Sparrow among several Song Sparrows.

While checking out the sparrows, I noticed several Mourning Doves flying out of the wooded area. The reason became obvious when a Merlin flew in and perched on a nearby snag.
Over at the north pond, the Hooded Merganser, the Pied-billed Grebe, and two Blue-winged Teal were present.

I made the short drive over to the Silver Crest Road retention pond where I found a Great Egret standing near a Great Blue Heron.
There were six Killdeer in the grass beside the West Gremar Road retention pond while about 60 Tree Swallows swooped over the water.

The area by the intersection at Green Pond produced two 'first of the season' birds for me----a Yellow-rumped Warbler and a White-throated Sparrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment