Sunday, October 6, 2024

Melchor Tract Park, Green Pond, and Hollo Road ~ October 6, 2024

I went to the Melchor Tract Park in the hopes of finding either an Orange-crowned or a Connecticut Warbler. As soon as I started my walk, I realized there were a good amount of sparrows zipping back and forth. I conservatively counted 26 Song, 14 Swamp, 12 Savannah, 9 White-throated, 5 Field, 2 Lincoln's, and 2 Chipping Sparrows for the morning.

The bulk of the warblers have passed through to the south by now with the exception of the more hardy warblers: Palm and Yellow-rumped Warbler, and Common Yellowthroat.

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Ruby-crowned and Golden-crowned Kinglets, a Red-eyed Vireo, and a Hermit Thrush were found along the treeline on the east side of the park.
Back at the parking lot, 11 Black Vultures circled overhead. Other notables included Sharp-shinned and Cooper's Hawk, Eastern Phoebe, House Wren, Eastern Bluebird, Cedar Waxwing, and American Goldfinch. I ended up with 41 species there.
From there, I drove over to Green Pond, which held the continuing Great Egret and a Double-crested Cormorant.

Over at the flooded field area, I saw Savannah and Swamp Sparrow and an Eastern Meadowlark that was too quick to get a photo of before it dropped back down into the vegetation.
Other notables included an American Black Duck, Eastern Phoebe, and Tree Swallow.

My last stop was the Hollo Road retention pond. There, I saw 3 Green-winged Teal in the pond, 4 Savannah Sparrows along the edges, and a Common Raven that flew by.

The surprise bird there was a Cape May Warbler that was seen in a tree across the road from the pond. It flew before I could get a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment