Friday, September 6, 2024

Marsh Wren at East Bangor Dam ~ September 6, 2024

I started out the morning at Bear Swamp, which produced Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Pileated Woodpecker, Yellow-throated Vireo, Eastern Bluebird, Cedar Waxwing, Common Yellowthroat, and American Redstart.

From the bridge on Bangor Vein Road, I saw Hairy Woodpecker, Eastern Wood-Pewee, Eastern Phoebe, Red-eyed Vireo, Common Yellowthroat, American Redstart, and Scarlet Tanager.

My last stop was East Bangor Dam. I noticed a Merlin perched atop a tree on the other side of the water.

I counted 21 Wood Ducks, 4 Green-winged Teal, 2 Double-crested Cormorants, 2 Green Herons, 4 Great Blue Herons, 2 Bald Eagles, a Pileated Woodpecker, an Eastern Phoebe, 3 Bank Swallows, a Brown Thrasher, a Swamp Sparrow, and a Black-and-white Warbler.
On the way back to the car, I stopped to 'spish' a little and heard a pretty loud 'tick' note coming from the marsh. I saw movement in the cattails and followed it. When the bird partially popped into view, I realized it was a Marsh Wren! I quickly grabbed a photo of it before it moved back into the cattails. Over the next 15 minutes or so, I was only able to grab one more photo of it as it continued to stay mostly hidden in the vegetation.

Every once in a while, the bird would sing its high-pitched "trill". It's interesting that this is a really early date for Marsh Wren. Is this just an early migrant or, more unlikely, could this bird have been present all summer? I sent out alerts to birders and drove home. Hopefully, others got to see it or at least hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment