Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Good Vireo Movement at Little Gap ~ September 3, 2024

When Monday's cold front dropped the temperatures, I figured it might be good for migrants. I made another trip up to Little Gap and walked the trail up to the hawkwatch. On the way up, I saw Ovenbird, Black-throated Green, and Tennessee Warbler.
At the top of the mountain, I saw one Yellow-rumped and 2 Magnolia Warblers, and caught a quick photo of a Palm Warbler right before it flew off.

While sitting at one spot, a Porcupine passed within ten feet of me and checked out a nearby sapling.

I then spotted a Philadelphia Vireo in a fairly distant tree and took a documentation photo of it.
A second one was seen soon after.
Red-eyed Vireos were also very noticeable. I ended up with a total of 14 birds.

As I slowly worked my way back down the Appalachian Trail, I came across a group of migrants that included two more Philadelphia Vireos and a Black-throated Blue Warbler.

A little farther down the trail, I found two more Philadelphia Vireos. One cooperated nicely, allowing me to get my best photos of this species.

That area also produced another Black-throated Blue Warbler, a Magnolia Warbler, and a few Black-and-white Warblers.
I saw my seventh and final Philadelphia Vireo of the day plus a Bay-breasted Warbler.

Last but definitely not least, I spotted 2 Red-breasted Nuthatches, which put an exclamation point on the morning.

I ended up seeing seven(!) Philadelphia Vireos and at least 14 Red-eyed Vireos in addition to the 2 Red-breasted Nuthatches, 2 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, 2 Common Ravens, a Scarlet Tanager, and 12 species of warblers that included Ovenbird, Palm, Yellow-rumped, Tennessee, Magnolia, Chestnut-sided, Bay-breasted, Black-and-white, Blackburnian, Black-throated Blue, Black-throated Green, and American Redstart.

No comments:

Post a Comment