Friday, September 13, 2024

Jacobsburg State Park and Hollo Road ~ September 13, 2024

I returned to Jacobsburg State Park and walked my loop around the park. In the area across the road from the visitor center, I found a Philadelphia Vireo, which I was never able to get a unobstructed photo of.
It was among a group of birds that included Red-eyed Vireo, Eastern Wood-Pewee, Eastern Phoebe, House Wren, Black-and-white Warbler, Northern Parula, and American Redstart.
Soon after, I found a Yellow-billed Cuckoo very close to the spot where I saw the one yesterday, so it might have been the same bird.
The hill behind the visitor center held at least 30 Cedar Waxwings.

Farther along, I spotted a Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

Other than Brown Thrasher and Field Sparrow, there weren't many birds seen on top of the hill, but in the area of the walking bridge near the Boulton parking lot, I was suddenly among several warblers that included Blue-winged, Bay-breasted, Black-and-white, Black-throated Green, Magnolia, Chestnut-sided, Northern Parula, and American Redstart.

When an immature Broad-winged Hawk flew in and landed, the same group of birds mobbed and scolded it.
A Common Yellowthroat was seen by the Henry Road bridge, which was the ninth warbler species for the day.

A stop at the Hollo Road retention pond on the way home produced 2 Blue-winged Teal, 5 Green-winged Teal, a Lesser Yellowlegs, a Semipalmated Sandpiper, and 3 Least Sandpipers.
A Semipalmated Sandpiper (bottom) and a Least Sandpiper (behind).

No comments:

Post a Comment