Saturday, October 3, 2026

Huge Flock of Brown-headed Cowbirds ~ October 3, 2026

There were 6 Green-winged Teal at the Hollo Road retention pond.
On the way over to the Newburg Road retention pond, I came across a huge flock of European Starlings and Brown-headed Cowbirds near the corner of Northwood Avenue and Van Buren Road. I estimated that there were about 800 Brown-headed Cowbirds with around 1000 Starlings.
I got some nice photos of the close Brown-headed Cowbirds.

Over at the Newburg Road site, the Greater Yellowlegs continued in the pond and over 20 Savannah Sparrows were still present around it.

The six Snow Geese continued over at Green Pond. Of the original group of around 40 birds present in late Spring, these six birds survived through the summer and are still present. Were they infected by the Avian Flu just enough that they were unable to migrate? I have seen them fly, but only for short distances. There were also 26 Mallards and a Gray Catbird there.

No comments:

Post a Comment