Thursday, June 1, 2023

A Run Around Northampton County ~ June 1, 2023

Since it was supposed to be hot and singing often shuts down earlier as we get into June, I started pretty early in the early morning at the Knitters Hill Road section of the Plainfield Recreation Trail. The area produced Pileated Woodpecker, Warbling Vireo, Veery, Wood Thrush, Baltimore and Orchard Oriole, Cedar Waxwing, Common Yellowthroat, and Yellow Warbler.

Flycatchers there included Great Crested, Willow, and my first-of-the-year Alder Flycatcher, which was thankfully singing to confirm its identity.
I headed over to Miller Road in Lower Mount Bethel Township. On the way there, an Indigo Bunting was singing from a wire along Hiensohn Hill Road. I stopped to try and get a photo of it, but just before I snapped the shutter, the bird took off and I ended up with this interesting shot.
Along Miller Road, I got out, listened, and eventually heard the insect-like song of a Grasshopper Sparrow. After finally locating a pair of them, I took a bunch of photos, which came out fairly well considering that the sun was in a poor position.

Also in that area were an Eastern Bluebird, an Indigo Bunting, and two Cedar Waxwings, which were feeding in a mulberry tree.

From there, I drove over to the Martins Creek PPL power plant area. I found a lingering male Bufflehead and a Double-crested Cormorant and took some long distance documentation photos of each.
An Eastern Meadowlark sang from a nearby tree. Unfortunately once again, the light was in a poor position.

I noticed a couple swallows flying around and was pleasantly surprised when I realized that they were Bank Swallows. I was really lucky to get a photo of one of them that was in pretty good focus.
A Great Blue Heron also flew by close enough to allow for these photos.

I hadn't been to the Regency Boulevard ponds in a while, so I headed over there to see what might be there. While checking the north pond, a couple Cedar Waxwings landed in a tree right next to me. After not seeing any waxwings for a long time, I ended up seeing them at each stop today.

Other notables there included Chimney Swift, Killdeer, Spotted Sandpiper, and Eastern Kingbird.

On the way back home, I stopped at Green Pond and saw the Snow Goose that has been there for several months now.

No comments:

Post a Comment