Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Green Pond and the Regency Ponds ~ June 21, 2023

Due to a project at home, I hadn't gone birding for several days. Today, I decided to check Green Pond and then the Regency Boulevard ponds. As expected at this time of year, notable birds were pretty hard to find. The occasionally flooded field area has been dry for at least a month due to the severe lack of rainfall. A group of 6 Turkey Vultures circling nearby contained an adult Bald Eagle, which eventually worked its way overhead.

The Snow Goose continued at its usual spot by the Green Pond Road retention pond.
A group of nine young Tree Swallows were at Green Pond itself. Two of them perched right next to the road.
I hadn't been over to the Regency Boulevard retention ponds since the beginning of the month, so I headed over there to see what might be there. As with many places, the pond levels were way down due to the lack of rain, and there was siginificant algae growth in the north pond. I have heard that, in the future, they plan on putting fountain-type sprayers in the ponds. While this might help with the algae growth, it will likely make the ponds less desirable to waterfowl that have been stopping there in the past. We will see what happens if this is done.

Anyway, I parked at the lot by the pool and, when I got out of the car, I was immediately scolded by a Killdeer, which began its broken wing routine to get my attention. I searched the area, expecting to see some young birds hiding among the plantings. Instead, I spotted three eggs very close to the edge of the lot! I quickly took a photo of the three eggs in a depression in the mulch and then backed off from the spot.

While watching her, I heard and then saw several Cedar Waxwings, which posed niely for photos in between flights down to the pond edge for food.

A lady that lives in the first house by the pond walked over and asked me what kind of birds they were. I told her they were Cedar Waxwings and showed her some of the photos I had on the back of my camera. She then invited me over to the back of her house to see the birds that were nesting in her birdhouse. They turned out to be Tree Swallows, which were constantly returning to feed the noisy young inside. One of the males preened itself on a fencepost after taking a bath.
Barn Swallows were also present around the ponds along with an Eastern Kingbird and two Spotted Sandpipers.

No comments:

Post a Comment