Monday, June 12, 2023

Upper and Lower Mount Bethel Townships ~ June 12, 2023

I planned to spend the morning birding near the Martins Creek PPL power plant area. On the way there, I saw a Snow Goose, three Common Mergansers, and 4 Wood Ducks at the duck-feeding area near Bushkill Park.

In Lower Mount Bethel Township, I walked the Martins Creek Nature Trail, which used to be known as the "Tekening area". I have trouble keeping up with all the name changes of the different sites over the years. In one of the fields, I heard and then eventually found two White-eyed Vireos. Luckily, the one bird was constantly calling, making it a little easier to find it in the thick brush. Acquiring photos of it was even more of a challenge, but I was able to get a few fairly good ones in the process.

In the same patch, a Yellow Warbler sang partially hidden among the branches.
A little farther along the trail, I heard a third White-eyed Vireo singing but could never get a good look at it. Cedar Waxwings were heard at several locations with some perching in the tops of trees and snags like this poorly-lit bird.
Other birds noted along the trail were Great Crested Flycatcher, Red-eyed Vireo, Northern Rough-winged and Tree Swallow, Brown Thrasher, Wood Thrush, American Goldfinch, Field Sparrow, Baltimore Oriole, Common Yellowthroat, American Redstart, Indigo Bunting, and an American Kestrel that was perched on a wire in a field across the highway from the parking lot.

The male Bufflehead continued to be seen near the power plant, this time sleeping near the back of the pond. A Double-crested Cormorant was in the pond, too. Three American Kestrels were perched on the wires along DePues Ferry Road. Brown Thrasher, Cedar Waxwing, Baltimore Oriole, and Common Yellowthroat were also found there.
Since I hadn't seen any recent reports of the Common Gallinule at Lake Minsi, I went over there to see if I could refind it. I spent about 40 minutes there looking for it but with no luck. While there, I had Great Blue and Green Heron, Osprey, Eastern Kingbird, Yellow-throated and Warbling Vireo, Purple Martin, Cedar Waxwing, and this Double-crested Cormorant.
As I got out of the car at the nearby Bear Swamp parking lot, I was taken by surprise when I saw a Red-headed Woodpecker fly directly overhead and up over the woods to the south. Unfortunately, it happened way too quick to try for a possible photo. Also heard or seen there were Great Crested and Acadian Flycatcher, Red-eyed Vireo, Veery, Wood Thrush, Ovenbird, and Common Yellowthroat.

On the way back home, I stopped at the Hollo Road retention pond, which was half dried up. A Semipalmated Plover was there along with Killdeer, Spotted Sandpiper, and Willow Flycatcher.

I looked for the Black-crowned Night-Heron that Billy Weber had reported from Green Pond, but it was apparently well-hidden or had left when I got there. Instead, I saw 6 Great Blue Herons, a Green Heron, Eastern Kingbird, Cedar Waxwing, Baltimore Oriole, Common Yellowthroat, and the continuing Snow Goose.

No comments:

Post a Comment