Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Green Pond, Newburg Road Pond, and Home ~ October 18, 2023

The Bonaparte's Gull continued at Green Pond. I got photos of it eating a small fish there.

Three American Black Ducks were also on Green Pond. 'Fly-by' birds included a Merlin and a group of 48 Ring-billed Gulls.

Over at the Newburg Road retention ponds, I saw a Swamp Sparrow among the Song and Savannah Sparrows and spotted an Eastern Meadowlark in a very distant tree.

As I turned into the driveway at home, I noticed a bird at the bottom of it. It was a Hermit Thrush! With all the birding I had done in 2023, I hadn't come across one all year, and now there was one right there in the driveway! I stopped the car and got a couple photos of it before it flew off into the neighbor's yard.

While photographing the thrush, I realized there were a lot of other birds working the area. I ended up finding a Northern Flicker, an Eastern Phoebe, a Tufted Titmouse, 2 Golden-crowned Kinglets, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, a Carolina Wren, 7 American Robins, 5 White-throated Sparrows, a Chipping Sparrow, and 2 Dark-eyed Juncos.

No comments:

Post a Comment