Thursday, October 5, 2023

A Check of Several County Ponds ~ October 6, 2023

After visiting my daughter in Bath, I drove down to the Regency Boulevard ponds. The male and female Northern Shovelers continued in the north pond along with the Wood Ducks.
Eventually, they flew to the south pond. I got this photo of the male, but one piece of vegetation swayed in front of the bird causing a reddish line across it.
In the cove of the north pond, I saw a Pied-billed Grebe, which may have been the same one I saw there back on September 28th.
A total of 10 Wood Ducks, 2 Green-winged Teal, and 3 Killdeer were also present among the 58 Mallards.

There were 3 Lesser Yellowlegs and 4 Killdeer at the West Gremar Road retention pond, but the Pectoral Sandpiper was either hiding very well or had moved on.

At the Hollo Road retention pond, two Wilson's Snipe were feeding among 3 Killdeer and a pair of Green-winged Teal.
A large group of around 120 Red-winged Blackbirds filled the trees along the adjacent Schoeneck Creek.

My last stop was the Newburg Road retention pond. When I got there, the large, grassy area next to the hospital was full of crows. When I got out of the car, the calls of Fish Crows filled the air. I made a quick sweep from right to left and counted at least 250 birds, so they were likely more than that. I took out my cell phone and took some photos as they moved between the grassy area and the hospital.

There were some American Crows calling, too, but they were few and far between. A Great Blue Heron was at the pond along with 11 Savannah Sparrows.

At home, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet was feeding in my Limber Pine outside the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment