Thursday, May 11, 2023

Shorebirds at Regency Boulevard Ponds and Steuben Road ~ May 11, 2023

After golfing with my friend, I headed over to the Regency Boulevard retention ponds and got there around noon. Along the woods edge, I saw Baltimore Oriole and two Yellow Warblers and heard Wood Thrush, Chestnut-sided Warbler, and Common Yellowthroat.

A Red-tailed Hawk circled overhead with prey before taking it to the nest.
Over at the north pond, shorebirds were evident all around the perimeter. As I scanned the edges, I counted 14 Killdeer, 11 Lesser Yellowlegs, 12 Spotted Sandpipers, 6 Solitary Sandpipers, 56 Least Sandpipers, and two Semipalmated Plovers.

The fairly late female Ring-necked Duck also continued there.

At the nearby Steuben Road and Monocacy Creek flooded field, one White-rumped Sandpiper remained along with a Semipalmated Plover and a few other more common shorebirds.

No comments:

Post a Comment