Friday, May 12, 2023

Plainfield Recreation Trail and Jacobsburg State Park ~ May 12, 2023

I birded the Knitters Hill Road section of the Plainfield Recreation Trail, which is the site of this Sunday's Lehigh Valley Audubon Society's bird walk. A Warbling Vireo and a Great Crested Flycatcher were photographed on the way down the trail.
On the return walk, a Swainson's Thrush flew up from the edge of the trail.

When I got back to the car, a Willow Flycatcher was calling from a wire next to the parking lot.
Other notables there were Pileated Woodpecker, Eastern Phoebe, Red-eyed Vireo, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Eastern Bluebird, Wood Thrush, American Goldfinch, Field Sparrow, Baltimore Oriole, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and warblers that included Ovenbird, Yellow, Yellow-rumped, Black-and-white, Northern Parula, American Redstart, and Common Yellowthroat.

I drove over to Jacobsburg State Park to take a walk along Sobers Run. It was already 10:15 when I got out of the car at the gate by the bridge. One of the first songs I heard was one that I didn't immediately recognize. Luckily, the bird was constantly singing, and when I finally found it, it was a Golden-crowned Kinglet! I was very familiar with the call notes from winter but had rarely heard its full song. It was so persistently singing at this one area that I wonder if it might be trying to claim a territory. Here are some photos I got of it.

It was fairly quiet along the trail, but I did manage to find Eastern Phoebe, Great Crested Flycatcher, Red-eyed Vireo, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Gray Catbird, Wood Thrush, Eastern Towhee, Ovenbird, Louisiana Waterthrush, Common Yellowthroat, Chestnut-sided Warbler, and Solitary Sandpiper along the creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment