Sunday, May 14, 2023

Plainfield Recreation Trail and Upper Mount Bethel ~ May 14, 2023

I led a Lehigh Valley Audubon Society bird walk at the Knitters Hill Road section of the Plainfield Recreation Trail. The plan was to head south and turn around at the creek crossing below Rasleytown Road. The walk started off well when a first-year male Orchard Oriole was spotted in a tree next to the parking lot. Also there were Yellow Warbler, Warbling Vireo, Barn Swallow, and the obvious Gray Catbird. Soon after we crossed the road and headed down the trail, two male Baltimore Orioles sparred with each other right above us.
When we reached the area of cattails where the large power lines cross over, we found Willow Flycatcher, numbers of the expected Red-winged Blackbirds, and a Great Blue Heron. It was odd to see the Great Blue Heron perched all the way at the top of a high-tension tower.

In the woods along the stream, we had Cooper's Hawk, Belted Kingfisher, Pileated Woodpecker, Eastern Wood-Pewee, Red-eyed Vireo, Ovenbird, Common Yellowthroat, and Scarlet Tanager, but it was becoming obvious that warblers were almost non-existent.

The section of the trail near Rasleytown Road produced Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Great Crested Flycatcher, Eastern Kingbird, House Wren, Carolina Wren, Swainson's Thrush, and American Goldfinch.

A pair of Eastern Phoebes were apparently nesting under the bridge at the creek crossing just below Rasleytown Road. A Northern Waterthrush was also heard there. On the return walk, we added Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Brown Thrasher, Veery, and American Redstart.

When we got back to the parking lot, the Willow Flycatcher was calling from one of the wires over the cattail patch. Also from the parking lot, we saw Chimney Swift, Red-tailed Hawk, and a circling Osprey.
While I was on the walk, I saw a report of a Mourning Warbler from National Park Drive. At the last minute, I decided to drive up there even though I figured it wouldn't be singing by the time I got there, which was now close to 11:00. I stopped at the spot and didn't hear it, but I did hear Pileated Woodpecker, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Ovenbird, and American Redstart. Along the rest of the road, I had Great Crested Flycatcher, Yellow-throated Vireo, Common Raven, Scarlet Tanager, Indigo Bunting, Louisiana Waterthrush, and Swainson's Thrush.
Although it was early afternoon, I figured I'd check Bear Swamp for thrushes. I only managed to find Wood Thrush and Veery.
At nearby Lake Minsi, I did a quick check to see if I could find any of the Common Gallinules. I did find one of the two. Did the other bird leave or is it on a nest?

Two Great Blue Herons, an Osprey, and 18 Purple Martins were also noted.

A brief stop at the Newburg Road retention pond yielded a Spotted Sandpiper and a Savannah Sparrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment