Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Bear Swamp, Lake Minsi, and East Bangor Dam ~ May 16, 2023

I spent the morning in Upper Mount Bethel Township, starting at Bear Swamp. Soon after I left the parking lot, I spotted an olive-backed thrush with a plain face. There was no obvious eye ring or pale lores, which ruled out Swainson's. It was a Gray-cheeked Thrush! As I raised my camera, it flew off and went deeper into the woods. I tried to relocate it for about a half-hour with no luck. Later, I heard and then saw an Acadian Flycatcher, which was much more cooperative for photos.

Other birds found there included Great Blue Heron, Great Crested Flycatcher, Red-eyed Vireo, Veery, Swainson's Thrush, Ovenbird, American Redstart, Northern Parula, and Black-throated Green Warbler.

I checked Lake Minsi for the Common Gallinules but couldn't find them. Birds that I did see included Great Blue Heron, Osprey, Fish Crow, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Yellow Warbler, and around 20 Purple Martins.

I stopped at East Bangor Dam where I saw a Mute Swan, a Bald Eagle, Yellow Warbler, and American Redstart, but the best sighting there was a Mink that was alongside the railroad tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment