Sunday, August 14, 2022

Baird's Sandpiper at West Gremar Road plus Regency Boulevard birds ~ August 14, 2022

I stopped at the West Gremar retention pond on the way to my daughter's in Bath and found a Baird's Sandpiper there in the north end of it! I quickly snapped a few long-distance photos of it, but that was all I would get because two people, walking the path and approaching that end of the pond, flushed the bird and it took off towards the southeast with a few Killdeer. The photos don't do a very good job of showing the long wings extending past the tail, the black legs, the scaled back, and the tan-colored upper breast and throat, but I've included them here for documentation.

A very distant in-flight photo shows its long, pointed wings as it's flying away.
After leaving my daughter's, I drove the short distance down to the Regency Boulevard ponds and checked them out. Swallows were again very evident with the majority of them being Banks, but I spotted two Cliff Swallows mixed in among them. Shorebirds there in the north pond included 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, a few Least Sandpipers, and a Solitary Sandpiper. This photo has all three species in it.
Here are some individual photos of the Solitary Sandpiper and the Lesser Yellowlegs.

A Great Blue Heron was in the south pond.
Several Brown-headed Cowbirds perched on the fence there, including this young male transitioning into the darker, adult plumage.
The Pied-billed Grebe was present, but I was unable to find the Blue-winged Teal or the Hooded Merganser.
On the way back home, I drove by Green Pond and counted 83 Northern Rough-winged Swallows perched on the wires along Farmersville Road at the pond itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment