Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Leucistic Gray Catbird at Jacobsburg State Park ~ May 10, 2022

I returned to Jacobsburg State Park hoping that the migration would be as busy as yesterday. Although it wasn't, I was lucky to get another chance to see a bird that was a mystery the day before. Yesterday, I got a brief look at a grayish bird with a whitish head as it flew deeper into the woods near the Henry Road bridge. My first impression was Canada Jay, which would've been an extremely unlikely find, so I pretty much knew it had to be something else. As I reached the area, I caught a glimpse of this same bird. It took several minutes, but the bird finally came out into the open and I realized that it was a leucistic Gray Catbird. It allowed me to get a few good photos of this strangely-marked bird.

Other interesting birds among the 42 species included Common Merganser, Belted Kingfisher, Pileated Woodpecker, Great Crested Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, and ten species of warblers comprised of Ovenbird, Yellow, Yellow-rumped, Cape May, Chestnut-sided, Black-and-white, Black-throated Blue, Black-throated Green, Northern Parula, and Louisiana Waterthrush.

No comments:

Post a Comment