Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Jacobsburg State Park and Green Pond ~ May 3, 2022

My loop route at Jacobsburg State Park produced 56 species, including 14 species of warblers. Of those fourteen, I was thrilled to get looks at Cape May, Blackburnian, and a distant Canada, plus Yellow-throated Vireo.

Northern Parula, Wood Thrush, and Baltimore Oriole allowed me to get photos of them, too.

I also got some mediocre photos of Black-throated Blue Warbler and Chestnut-sided Warbler.
Other notables included Pileated Woodpecker, Great Crested and Least Flycatcher, Blue-headed Vireo, American Redstart, and Black-throated Green and Prairie Warbler. There were numbers of Ovenbirds and Black-and-white Warblers, and I conservatively counted 43 Yellow-rumped Warblers along the route.

Late in the day, I checked out Green Pond and found an Osprey ripping apart a fish on a telephone pole at the edge of the pond.

Also at the pond was the first Eastern Kingbird that I've seen there this year.
While watching the Kingbird, the Osprey plunged into the water and grabbed another fish. After realizing what I was seeing, I tried to grab some photos of it as it carried the fish away. They came out fairly well considering I was shooting through some thin limbs.

Others seen there included Solitary Sandpiper, Lesser Yellowlegs, Killdeer, Great Blue and Green Heron, and Palm, Yellow, and Yellow-rumped Warbler.

No comments:

Post a Comment