Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Western Kingbird in Northampton County! ~ November 1, 2023

My birding day started at the Newburg Road ponds. At the fenced-in pond were two Greater Yellowlegs and a Lesser Yellowlegs.
I looked for the Dunlin that had been found at the Hollo Road pond the night before but didn't see them.

At the Silver Crest Road pond, I spotted the continuing Greater White-fronted Goose among over a thousand Canada Geese.

Also there were 4 Ruddy Ducks and a Common Merganser.
While I was there, I was notified that a Western Kingbird had been found at Housenick Park by Linda Freedman and Jim Figlar, so I drove over there. When I arrived, I noticed Bill Etter looking towards the treeline at the west edge of the large, grassy field. So, I looked in that direction and saw the bird perched about eight feet up in a tree.
I was lucky to get this mediocre photo of it showing its diagnostic white outer tail feathers as it flew up to a higher perch.
It eventually flew through the treeline over to the grove side. It took quite a while to refind it, but when I finally did, I got a little better photo of it before it flew back out into the field area. I believe this bird represents the 3rd Northampton County record.
My last stop was the Melchor Tract Park, a fairly new park in Williams Township, where an Orange-crowned Warbler had been seen. It was very windy and the middle of the afternoon, not the best time to search for it. I came up empty, but I did find 2 White-crowned Sparrows, a Field Sparrow, and 2 Swamp and 2 Savannah Sparrows among 11 Song Sparrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment