Friday, December 17, 2021

TWO Ross's Geese at Seiple's farm pond! ~ December 17, 2021

In the mid-afternoon, I checked out the Silver Crest Road retention pond to see if the Greater White-fronted Goose had returned. I didn't find it, but I did see a Cackling Goose that posed for me right in front of two Canada Geese. The smaller size, silvery coloration, shorter neck, block-shaped head, steep forehead, and stubbier bill is real obvious when compared with the other two.
From there, I drove over to Seiple's farm pond in East Allen Township. Bill Etter was there when I arrived and had just found a Ross's Goose among the many Snow Geese. We were scanning over the other birds when I refound the Ross's Goose and realized that there was another one right next to it! I got Bill on them and we watched as both of them swam around the pond together. It was the first time I had ever had the opportunity to photograph two Ross's Geese in one frame in our area. Note the much smaller size, much shorter neck, and stubby bill with no 'grin patch' compared to the surrounding Snow Geese.

No comments:

Post a Comment