Thursday, June 15, 2000

Florida Trip ~ June 10-11, 2000

June 10, 2000

I left the Lehigh Valley International Airport and flew to Fort Lauderdale by way of Pittsburgh. After picking up my rental car, I headed for the Frostproof area. Along the way, I saw Anhinga, Snowy Egret, Little Blue Heron, Tricolored Heron, Cattle Egret, Black-crowned Night-Heron, White Ibis, Swallow-tailed Kite, Northern Bobwhite, Common Moorhen, White-winged Dove, Eurasian Collared-Dove, Loggerhead Shrike, and Boat-tailed Grackle.

I stopped along Lake Walk-In-The-Water Road near Lake Weohyakapka northeast of Frostproof and scanned the skies where I was lucky to find a dark morph Short-tailed Hawk flying over the treeline. Osprey and Bald Eagle were also sighted from there.

The night was spent at the Prince of Wales Motel in Lake Wales.


June 11, 2000

I returned to Lake Walk-In-The-Water Road and spotted Eurasian Collared-Dove, Pileated Woodpecker, Great Crested Flycatcher, White-eyed Vireo, and Northern Parula, but didn’t see any more Short-tailed Hawks.

I left there and drove to Hernando Beach, spotting Eastern Meadowlark along the way. I stopped along Flamingo Boulevard in Hernando Beach and found Purple Martin and a small group of Budgerigars that chattered in the trees in the 3500 block.
Budgerigar along Flamingo Boulevard in Hernando Beach.


The next stop was Crews Lake County Park where I saw Great Egret, Snowy Egret, Little Blue Heron, Wood Stork, and Sandhill Crane.

I spent a second night at the Prince of Wales Motel in Lake Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment