Thursday, June 15, 2000

Florida Trip ~ June 12, 2000

I spent another morning at Lake Walk-In-The-Water Road. This time I saw Anhinga, Red-shouldered Hawk, and a light morph Short-tailed Hawk. While there, I met Wes Biggs, who had led the trip I took to the Dry Tortugas back in 1997. He kindly gave me directions to a Canary-winged Parakeet site in Kendall.

From there, I drove down towards Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge. A few Common Ground-Doves were present in a field along the way. A Swallow-tailed Kite coursed back and forth over Route 60 near Lake Kissimmee.
Swallow-tailed Kite near Lake Kissimmee, Florida on June 12, 2000. This bird was seen floating and wheeling around just above the treetops along Route 60, just west of the southern end of the lake. This is one of my favorite raptors.


At Loxahatchee, I found Least Bittern, White and Glossy Ibis, Mottled Duck, Purple Gallinule, Common Moorhen, American Coot, Black-necked Stilt, and Loggerhead Shrike.

Next, I motored down to the parakeet site near the Baptist Hospital in Kendall, which produced Eurasian Collared-Dove, Monk Parakeet, Red-whiskered Bulbul, and nice looks at White-winged Parakeets.
White-winged Parakeets along SW 87th Street in Kendall. Note the white and yellow edging on the wings.


I spent the next two nights at the Everglades Motel in Homestead.

No comments:

Post a Comment