Wednesday, May 8, 2024

National Park Drive and the Totts Gap Conservation Area ~ May 8, 2024

I decided to get up a little earlier than normal because I wanted to bird National Park Drive in the Delaware Water Gap Recreation Area. Soon after I started down the road, I saw Adam Miller looking up into the trees and ended up joining him for the morning. Present there in those trees were Scarlet Tanager, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Northern Parula, and Cape May, Blackburnian, Yellow-rumped, and Blue-winged Warbler. Farther down the road, we found Pileated Woodpecker, Great Crested Flycatcher, Red-eyed Vireo, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Wood Thrush, Ovenbird, and Ruby-throated Hummingbird.
We walked the Slateford Loop Trail, which heads towards the Arrow Island Overlook. That area produced Northern Flicker, Yellow-throated and White-eyed Vireo, Swainson's Thrush, Baltimore Oriole, Scarlet Tanager, and 16 species of warblers that included Yellow, Hooded, Ovenbird, Blue-winged, Worm-eating, Tennessee, Cape May, Blackpoll, Yellow-rumped, Chestnut-sided, Black-and-white, Black-throated Blue, Black-throated Green, American Redstart, Northern Parula, and Common Yellowthroat. I was lucky to get a photo of the White-eyed Vireo through a small opening in the brush.
We then walked the trail back to the historical farm site. Along the way, a Hooded Warbler let me get two average photos of it.

At the farm, a Black Vulture emerged from of an opening in one of the outbuildings, which pointed toward it being a probable nest site.

Back at the car, an Indigo Bunting perched in a nearby tree.
When we left the area, my checklist totaled 48 species that included a nice total of 17 warblers.

My last stop was at the Totts Gap Conservation Area where I saw 2 Ospreys, a pair of American Kestrels, and 2 Bobolinks.

I got some mediocre, long distance photos of the Bobolinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment