Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Four Glossy Ibis at Green Pond ~ May 14, 2024

I got up fairly early and drove up to National Park Drive near Delaware Water Gap. From there, I parked and walked out the trail towards the Arrow Island Overlook. Along the way, I heard the constant singing of Red-eyed Vireo, Wood Thush, and Ovenbird, plus Scarlet Tanager, Louisiana Waterthrush, and Worm-eating, Tennessee, and Hooded Warbler. Also there were Eastern Wood-Pewee, Baltimore Oriole, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting, and other warblers that included Black-and-white, Chestnut-sided, American Redstart and, finally, the one I was mainly looking for, a Bay-breasted Warbler. I was fortunate to get one mediocre photo of this bird that I often seem to have trouble finding in Spring.
Just before getting back to the car, I heard a Yellow-billed Cuckoo calling its "kuh-kuh-kuh-kuh-kowlp-kowlp" call. At the parking lot, I ran into Adam Smith. I asked him what his plans were and he said he was going to try and find Cerulean Warbler at Kirkridge. I was actually thinking about doing the same thing, so he followed me up there. We parked and walked down the road. We heard Yellow-throated Vireo, Worm-eating and Hooded Warbler, and then a Cerulean. Adam found a second bird singing on the opposite side of the road from the first bird. I got the usual photos of them way up near the tops of the trees.

While checking out the Ceruleans, a Black-billed Cuckoo called nearby. It's not often that you get both species of cuckoos on the same day.

I stopped at Lake Minsi to check the lake. While scanning the east side, I noticed two Bank Swallows flying around together. I got two poor, long distance photos of them.

Also there were several Purple Martin pairs checking out the gourds. I got back home around 1:00 PM. I had an appointment at the Subaru dealership at 3:00. After that, I drove the short distance to the Regency Boulevard retention ponds. There were a few Killdeer, and Spotted and Solitary Sandpiper, but not much else.

I stopped at the Steuben Road site at Little Creek Drive. There, I found the two young Killdeer with their parents plus 2 Solitary Sandpipers and 11 Least Sandpipers.
My last stop on the way home was the flooded field by Green Pond. There, in a tight group, were four Glossy Ibis, all in breeding plumage! I slowly got out of the car and stood at the back of it, using it as a shield from them.

After about 20 minutes, they worked their way within about 25 feet of me, so close that I could barely keep one of them in the camera frame.

Soon after Scott Singer stopped and was getting photos of them when I left. It was a nice end to a good day.
Edit: All four Glossy Ibis were still there on the morning of the 15th.

No comments:

Post a Comment