Monday, February 13, 2023

Two Iceland Gulls and Two Great Black-backed Gulls in Easton ~ February 13, 2023

I made it a point to get down to the 'Forks of the Delaware' in Easton before noon today to see if there was more gull activity at the earlier time, and there was. A lot more. The far shore was lined with several hundred gulls. As expected, most of them were Ring-billed Gulls. Among them were over a hundred Herring Gulls and several Lesser Black-backed Gulls.
I scoped along the shoreline and found two distant Great Black-backed Gulls.

As I looked through the gulls on the river, I noticed a first-winter Iceland Gull. It eventually flew to the partially-exposed island just below the dam where I was able to get some pretty good photos of it.

While making another scan through the gulls on the river, I spotted another first-winter Iceland Gull. That bird eventually flew upriver.

From there, I drove up to the Nazareth Quarry. Notable birds there included 42 Ruddy Ducks, 13 Buffleheads, 9 Common Mergansers, 4 American Black Ducks, a Pied-billed Grebe, and about 2000 Snow Geese.

Four Eastern Bluebirds were feeding along the Newburg Road retention pond.
The flooded field by Green Pond held 9 American Black Ducks, 8 Green-winged Teal, and 2 Northern Pintails among 86 Mallards. Two Great Blue Herons were also present.

No comments:

Post a Comment