Friday, February 10, 2023

Bald Eagles and the Continuing 'Stealth Bomber' ~ February 10, 2023

While eating breakfast, I noticed an adult Bald Eagle flying over the backyard. I grabbed my camera and got a couple photos of it as it circled.

I drove up to the Grand Central landfill and spotted one fairly distant Iceland Gull with the swirling group of gulls flying over the day's dumpings. As usual, there were also several Bald Eagles soaring over the area.
A stop along Route 611 south of Lower Mud Run Road produced 26 Common Goldeneye and 3 Common Mergansers diving in the Delaware River.
One of the females in the group of Common Goldeneye sported an almost all-yellow bill. This field mark is one that points towards a Barrow's Goldeneye, but a few other identification points didn't match a Barrow's (stubbier bill, steeper forehead, and browner head), so this bird was likely just an odd Common.

A little farther south down the river, I found another 28 Common Goldeneye on the river while a Bald Eagle circled closely overhead and a Common Raven flew downriver.
At the 'Forks of the Delaware', I saw a Turkey Vulture with no tail. There's a very good chance that this is the same bird that I photographed at the same spot back in February, November, and December of 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment