Monday, February 27, 2023

A Fine Afternoon of Birding Before the Storm ~ February 27, 2023

Just before I left home, I noticed a Merlin perched in the neighbor's tree. I only managed to get one photo before it headed off to the west.
On the way to the Grand Central landfill, I came across a huge flock containing thousands of "blackbirds" along Pen Argyl Road. I estimated around 5000 Common Grackles, 3000 Red-winged Blackbirds, 1000 European Starlings, and at least 300 Brown-headed Cowbirds, but there were probably more than that of each.

One section of the flock was feeding right along the road. Brown-headed Cowbirds were sprinkled throughout the flock.
I searched through the flock, hoping to find a Yellow-headed Blackbird, but was unsuccessful.

There weren't that many gulls at the landfill when I got there, but I did manage to find a first-winter Iceland Gull among the expected species.

Four Bald Eagles were also there, and an Eastern Bluebird posed nearby.
I headed for the Albert Road ponds near Wind Gap. The private north pond held 14 Ring-necked Ducks, 3 Common Mergansers, and a Belted Kingfisher. The large, middle pond held 2 Lesser Scaup, a Pied-billed Grebe, and 43 more Ring-necked Ducks.
My next stop was the Nazareth Quarry, which produced a nice variety of waterbirds. I scoped the quarry and found 800 Canada Geese, 250 Snow Geese, 67 Ruddy Ducks, 38 Ring-necked Ducks, 25 American Black Ducks, 23 Common Mergansers, 13 Buffleheads, 6 Green-winged Teal, 5 American Wigeon, 4 Gadwall, 2 Pied-billed Grebes, and a Horned Grebe.
On the way over to the Regency Boulevard retention ponds, I spotted an adult Bald Eagle flying along Georgetown Road. It was pretty low, so I stopped to see if I could get a photo of it. As I got out, I noticed it drop into a yard and lift off with a Gray Squirrel in its talons. It quickly flew right past me, so I could only get a few photos of it as it was flying away with its catch.

At the Regency ponds, I discovered a pair of Buffleheads, 5 Killdeer, and a Northern Pintail among 96 Snow Geese and around 125 Canada Geese.

The Northern Pintail was my 130th species seen at Regency. Also, two of the Snow Geese had yellow neck bands. One was labeled 'YF11' and the other was tagged 'YE31'. A search of the band information revealed that 'YF11' is a female that was banded on Bylot Island, Canada during August of 2021, and 'YE31' was banded at the same spot back in August of 2019.

A quick check of the nearby Silver Crest pond yielded a Great Blue Heron and 5 Ring-necked Ducks. I got home just as the snow started.

No comments:

Post a Comment