Monday, February 20, 2023

A Day's Worth of Birding During the Great Backyard Bird Count ~ February 20, 2023

On the last day of the Great Backyard Bird Count, I decided to make a counter-clockwise run around the county. I birded at nine different spots.

Stop 1) 'Forks of the Delaware' in Easton. I was hoping to find some unusual gulls here, but that wasn't the case. Notables were a distant adult Bald Eagle circling over the toll bridge, a Common Merganser, and 3 Lesser Black-backed Gulls among 7 Herring Gulls and around 250 Ring-billed Gulls.
Stop 2) Martins Creek Environmental Preserve. Highlights were 57 Ring-necked Ducks, 22 Buffleheads, a Greater Scaup, and an American Coot, plus 2 American Kestrels.

Stop 3) Cedar Road ponds. I had seen a report of 2 Mute Swans from here, so I stopped by and easily found them there.
Stop 4) Grand Central landfill. Once again, I was looking for some unusual gulls. I spent almost two hours scoping the dumping area, sort of a gull version of "Where's Waldo". I found 3 Iceland Gulls flying among around a thousand other gulls.
Eventually, I found two first-winter Icelands standing on the hillside.
I also found a Great Black-backed Gull there in addition to a total of 6 Bald Eagles and a Common Raven.

Stop 5) Albert Road ponds. The ponds were pretty empty. The private north pond only held 12 Ring-necked Ducks and 3 Common Mergansers.

Stop 6) Ballas Park. I was surprised to find that the large center section had been mowed. The only birds seen here were 18 Common Grackles.

Stop 7) Silver Crest Road pond. Like Albert Road, this pond was pretty empty with the exception of 6 Ring-necked Ducks and 3 Ruddy Ducks.

Stop 8) Regency Boulevard retention ponds. This was another spot fairly devoid of birds, producing only 8 Snow Geese and 17 Common Grackles.

Stop 9) My last stop was Green Pond. The flooded field area held 6 Green-winged Teal, 4 Northern Pintails, and 4 American Black Ducks.

No comments:

Post a Comment